Usage of Contemporary Urban Space
Warsaw, May 15-17, 2020
About the conference
The Chair of Urban Geography and Spatial Planning of the Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies, University of Warsaw, and the Museum of Warsaw are pleased to invite you to participate in the national scientific conference entitled USAGE OF CONTEMPORARY URBAN SPACE.
The conference will be held on May 15-17, 2020 (Friday-Sunday) in Warsaw.
This is the fifth conference in the series dedicated to contemporary cities, previous editions concerned the issues of perception (2006), evaluation (2009), shaping (2012) and organizing (2017) of urban space.
We encourage representatives of broadly understood urban studies, i.e. geographers, urban sociologists, cultural scientists, historians and art historians, economists, environmental and social psychologists, urbanists, planners, architects and landscape architects, lawyers, political scientists, monument conservators, animators of social and cultural life, also activists of associations, foundations and societies, non-governmental organizations, urban movements and cooperatives, as well as public officials, municipal politicians and municipal service officers to participate in the proceedings.
We anticipate the following thematic sections:
- Dynamics of urban space – incl. revitalization, verticalization, urban wasteland, succession of the function of places, shaping the form of the city
- Man in the city – incl. socialization of space, spaces of creativity, identity, social exclusion, community
- Technologies in the city – incl. smart cities, intelligent technologies, electronic cities, urban GPS-tracking technologies, urban transportation
- Urban nature – incl. renaturalization of urbanized space, urban ecology
- Property and protection in the city space – incl. public space, privatization, commercialization, thematization, right to the city, protection and conservation
Registration for the UWPM 2020 conference (link to the registration form)
- prof. dr hab. Mirosława Czerny (Chair)
- dr hab. Małgorzata Durydiwka
- dr hab. Waldemar Wilk
- dr Magdalena Fuhrmann
- dr hab. Mikołaj Madurowicz
- dr Dorota Mantey
- dr Paweł Weszpiński
- dr Jarosław Suchożebrski
- mgr Aleksandra Korpysz
- mgr Wojciech Doroszewicz (running the secretariat of the conference)
- Registering/submitting abstracts (via the conference website): 12.2019 – 31.01.2020 – REGISTER HERE
- Qualifying abstracts: until February 29, 2020.
- Conference fee payment: until March 31, 2020.
The conference fee of 400 PLN or 250 PLN (reduced price for PhD students) should be paid via bank transfer, account number: 27 1160 2202 0000 0000 6084 9388, the title of the transfer: UWPM 2020 conference + your name.
The conference fee includes the costs of conference materials and catering during the meeting (dinner, 2 x lunch, coffee breaks). The conference fee does not cover accommodation cost (we offer advice regarding the hotel choice) and transport.
The organizers of the UWPM 2020 conference are not planning a post-conference publication or thematic issue of the journal.
We encourage participants of our conference to submit their papers to one of the two journals:
Miscellanea Geographica – Regional Studies on Development (publications in English – see https://content.sciendo.com/view/journals/mgrsd/mgrsd-overview.xml)
Studies in Geography (publications in English or Polish – see http://wgsr.uw.edu.pl/wgsr/index.php/pl/badania-i-nauka/czasopisma/prace-i-studia-geograficzne/).
The papers – after passing the review procedure – appear in the next issues of these journals. The date of publication depends on the deadline for sending texts to the editorial board of both periodicals, on the fulfillment of substantive and formal criteria by the submitted manuscripts and on the review procedure itself.
Scientific conference “Usage of Contemporary Urban Space”
Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies, University of Warsaw
ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 30
phone: (+48 22) 55-23-253